Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Day the Earth Stood Still

For most of us there are days that stand out in our minds, days that we can tell you where we were, what we were doing, who we were with. for most of us one of those days is September 11, 2001. For me I can tell you I was working in Naples Florida for WINK news in the Naples bureau and for some reason on this day I was working out of the station in Fort Myers. The first plane hit the building as I walked in the door. We didn’t think too much about it – but were paying close attention to what was going on in New York. I hung around the newsroom watching the Today Show cover the goings on in the city… and all of a sudden the second plane came into frame and hit the second building… now we knew something was going on. The news Director sent me and a reporter (Waddy) to the Federal Building in down town Fort Myers. After we arrived Waddy set up the live truck and I started interviewing people… we got a lot of video… none of which ever made it on the air because the only thing viewers wanted to see was the national coverage of the attacks. This day the earth stood still.

I mention 9-11 because it is one of those days that stands out in everyone’s heads. Another day for me is the day I found out I had cancer… my brother went to Miami with me, as I have said before we though the report was going to be good so Kim stayed to work. and we found out just the opposite the pathology report was not good Dr. Marcos told us the news that I had a glioblastoma level four (not stage four) and we had a battle a head of us… the three of us broke into tears and Kim felt even worse not being with us. I can remember everything about that room the smells… where I was sitting… where the doctor was sitting and where Craig was. This was the worst day of my life – this is one of those days that the earth stood still… and it has been standing still ever since.

On a different note Wednesday I had an EEG (electroencephalograph) it went well... as far as I know. I meet with the doctor in a few weeks to go over it.


But again I am feeling good and other than having brain cancer, I don’t have much to complain

No comments:

Post a Comment