Thursday, September 24, 2009

Unspoken Bond

Yesterday I visited my Chemo Doctor’s office for some blood work. While getting my blood drawn (they only pricked my finger) there were three other patients getting blood work done too. The weird thing was as soon as I walked into that room I felt an instant bond with these other patients we are all going through the same thing… different forms of cancer but we were all battling cancer in some way or other. I was the newest to the battle field most of these people were long time veterans on the battle field… as you know it’s only been three months so far for me. Some of these people have been battling the big “C” for years… and that gives me hope.

I drew more inspiration from these patients… they understand what I am going through… they have been there… they can give me advice. I was the youngest one in the group – all the other patients were seniors they were mostly in their 60’s-80’s… even more reason to be inspired by them… they have been fighting the fight for years.. I am looking forward to my next visit so I can draw more inspiration and wisdom from these amazing people.

As some of you may or may not know I have been thinking about getting a tattoo to symbolize my battle… but I have been struggling with just what to get. Well I figured it out. I have been saying from day one that I have to dance at Cole’s wedding… that is my goal. That is what I am going to get inked on my arm… a situate of Kim and I dancing together with a shadow of Cole in the background. This will remind me daily of my goal and it will help me continue to fight my fight. The only problem I am running into is there is an old Jewish wives-tale that says you can’t be buried in a Jewish cemetery if you have a tattoo – I need to meet with a Rabbi and find out how true this really is.

1 comment:

  1. I just checked torah.org and the Rabbis who post there say while tatoos in general are prohibited, they have no bearing on whether or not you can be buried in a Jewish cementary.

    http://torah.org/learning/issues/tattoo.html

    Still, check with your Rabbi- this is an internet source after all!

    ReplyDelete