Monday, September 21, 2009

Life’s Impact

I never realized the impact I have made on other peoples life’s until recently. Yesterday September 20th was my 39th birthday. The amount of birthday wishes I received was incredible… people I haven’t seen in twenty-five years came out to wish me a happy birthday… mostly through facebook.

Facebook has been an awesome outlet for me during my battle. I have been able to reconnect with old friends and even people I barely knew through facebook. Some of them told me to keep fighting and even though we may have only met once I made an impact on their lives.

You have to understand through most of my life I have had a very low self-esteem… it still at times comes out. I didn’t have many friends through school... I wasn’t the cool kid... I wasn’t the smart one... I wasn’t the athlete… I was the outsider – or at least thought I was. I just didn’t fit in anywhere. Not many people talked to me… But they knew me… who knew? All that time I thought I was on the outside I was making an impact on others lives.

I don’t think any of us realizes that each person we meet we leave some type of impression on them… whether we meet them for one minute or we end up being lifelong friends, we all leave some sort of impression. – Good or bad. Some of the people I have heard from lately I barely recalled – but once I thought about it I remembered them and remembered that they did leave some sort of impression on me.

Being diagnosed with cancer definitely forces you and the people around you to revaluate what matters. Everyone around me has revaluated their lives and has been able to put their families first. The old Saying: you don’t know what you got till it’s gone” is so true. I now don’t take anything for granted. I enjoy every second of my life… whether you are sick or healthy you never know when your time is over. As I said before you could always open your door and get hit by a bus. People please each time you go somewhere tell your family you love them… even if you’re fighting say “I love you”. If something does happen let those be the last word you said…Never go to bed or leave the house fighting.

My brother who I have always been close to growing up… I am now even closer with. We tell each other” I love you” every time we see one and other… we even give each other a kiss on the cheek… This is what life is about… family, and that is how I spent my birthday with family. My brother came over with his kids; some very close friends were over with their kids. I spent the holiday with my parents and had a dinner with my in-laws. This is what life is about… family. I could not have had a better birthday – spending it with family was perfect… it was a birthday weekend spent with close friends and family. I do want to thank the Goren’s for the awesome crystal neck less… I know it will help be fight of f the big”C”.

2 comments:

  1. It's very odd how so many of us think of ourselves as outsiders. I've spent most of my life locked inside my own head and heart. I always shied away from acting like a fool or just letting other people get to know who I was ... I thought I had nothing to offer.

    It's an amazing property of life that even our struggles and difficulties can reach in and inspire so many to not be afraid to share. I am grateful for your courage in the face of such a challenge. Fight the good fight. Don't give up! Not for one minute or second. Rest if you have to, but get up again when you find the strength. Your life is an eloquent testimony to the human spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking through your pictures it reminds me of all we went through when my son fought his brain tumor.

    Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

    Lindsay

    www.twitter.com/teamarmstrong

    ReplyDelete